‘US Secret Service agent almost mistakenly shot Ahmadinejad in 2006’
Washington: A US Secret Service agent had mistakenly discharged his gun near Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad during his visit to New York City in 2006.
The jolting accident has been revealed in an upcoming book ‘Deep State: Inside the Government Secrecy Industry’
The accident reportedly happened while Ahmadinejad was in Manhattan in September of 2006 for the United Nations General Assembly.
According to the New York Daily News, the eye-popping incident was mentioned in then-President Bush’s daily intelligence briefs.
A note, according to an unnamed official cited in ‘Deep State’, read that ‘a U.S. Secret Service agent, in an apparent accident, discharged his shotgun as Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was loading his motorcade at the InterContinental Hotel’.
The agent was fiddling with a side-mounted shotgun on an armored Suburban when the weapon fired, the official said.
The book’s authors, national security journalists Marc Ambinder and D.B. Grady, have not exactly said where Ahmadinejad was at that moment. But the gun’s discharge was apparently close enough to catch his attention.
The official said that everyone just stopped adding that the Iranians looked at them. The agent began to apologize. Ahmadinejad just turned his head and got into his car.
An excerpt from the book was posted on The Atlantic’s website with the headline, "How the Secret Service Almost Shot Mahmoud Ahmadinejad."
While the Iranian strongman appeared to play it cool, White House officials were worried he might use the incident to his advantage before an audience at the United Nations.
But ultimately, the Iranians never publicly spoke of the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal