‘US Secret Service agent almost mistakenly shot Ahmadinejad in 2006’
Washington: A US Secret Service agent had mistakenly discharged his gun near Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad during his visit to New York City in 2006.
The jolting accident has been revealed in an upcoming book ‘Deep State: Inside the Government Secrecy Industry’
The accident reportedly happened while Ahmadinejad was in Manhattan in September of 2006 for the United Nations General Assembly.
According to the New York Daily News, the eye-popping incident was mentioned in then-President Bush’s daily intelligence briefs.
A note, according to an unnamed official cited in ‘Deep State’, read that ‘a U.S. Secret Service agent, in an apparent accident, discharged his shotgun as Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was loading his motorcade at the InterContinental Hotel’.
The agent was fiddling with a side-mounted shotgun on an armored Suburban when the weapon fired, the official said.
The book’s authors, national security journalists Marc Ambinder and D.B. Grady, have not exactly said where Ahmadinejad was at that moment. But the gun’s discharge was apparently close enough to catch his attention.
The official said that everyone just stopped adding that the Iranians looked at them. The agent began to apologize. Ahmadinejad just turned his head and got into his car.
An excerpt from the book was posted on The Atlantic’s website with the headline, "How the Secret Service Almost Shot Mahmoud Ahmadinejad."
While the Iranian strongman appeared to play it cool, White House officials were worried he might use the incident to his advantage before an audience at the United Nations.
But ultimately, the Iranians never publicly spoke of the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks