US security adviser meets Chinese defence official
Beijing: President Barack Obama`s National Security Adviser met a senior Chinese military official on Wednesday to discuss security issues in Asia.
Washington has been pressing the Chinese military for more transparency about its plans, while Beijing is wary of the US military shift to the Asia-Pacific region.
It was not immediately known if the issues were raised in Thomas Donilon`s meeting with Gen Xu Caihou, a vice chairman of the Chinese Central Military Commission.
The meeting comes a day after Donilon held talks with President Hu Jintao. The official People`s Daily reported yesterday that both Hu and Donilon pledged to promote relations between the two world powers.
But the newspaper said Hu asked for a "cautious" approach in handling sensitive issues between the countries. It did not say what those issues were.
Donilon`s visit comes as Syria plunges deeper into violence with rebels pressing their fight to topple President Bashar Assad.
China joined Russia last week in vetoing a resolution backed by the US and other Western nations that would have imposed new sanctions on Assad`s regime.
Donilon wraps up his visit later today with meetings with Vice Premier Wang Qishan and Vice President Xi Jinping, who takes over from Hu as China`s top leader later this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...