US seeking more info on presence of Pak Taliban in Syria
Washington: United States is seeking more information on the presence of the Pakistani Taliban in Syria, an official has said.
"We have seen that report and seeking more details," said Jen Psaki, State Department spokesperson, adding that the US was concerned about the presence of foreign fighters among the Syrian rebels.
"We`ve been very clear about our longstanding concerns over the influx of foreign fighters into Syria who seek to capitalise on the situation in Syria and foment violence for their own benefit," Psaki said.
Psaki was responding to questions on the Pakistani Taliban revelation that its fighters drawn from various countries have joined the Syrian rebels against the President, Bashar Al-Assad`s forces.
The US is providing non-lethal military assistance to the Syrian rebels, with several lawmakers and a part of the administration contemplating advancing its assistance to it.
"The Pakistani Taliban has been designated as a Foreign Terrorist Organisation, has conducted numerous terrorist attacks in Pakistan.
The people of Pakistan have suffered greatly from terrorism, including at the hands of TTP (Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan). But beyond that, we`re looking into the reports and determining the facts on the ground," Psaki said.
The United States, she said, will "take a closer look" as it has more information.
"But all options remain on the table, aside from boots on the ground," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Discontinue pellet guns, says J&K HC citing Rajnath's statement
- MCA Managing Committee to discuss SC judgement on Sunday
- Mamata Banerjee pays homage to 'Mahanayak' Uttam Kumar
- Floods batter Assam, Arunachal; 3 die in Uttarakhand wall collapse
- Sushma Swaraj lashes out at Nawaz Sharif, says Pakistan will never succeed in making Kashmir a 'terror hell'