US sees no Iranian role in ending Syrian violence
Washington: The US has insisted that it sees no role for Iran in ending violence and bloodshed in Syria, Xinhua reported.
"I don`t think anybody with a straight face could argue that Iran has had a positive impact on developments in Syria. That`s our view," White House spokesperson Jay Carney told reporters aboard Air Force One en route to Iowa state.
Iran has opposed any form of foreign intervention in Syria, its close ally, but called on the Syrian government to listen to its people`s demands and carry out reforms.
About the UN-Arab League special envoy for Syria Kofi Annan-brokered peace plan, Carney called it "essential" for the international community to rally behind it, for it to be implemented and for al-Assad to step down to make way for a political transition in Syria.
"We remain highly sceptical about al-Assad`s willingness to meet his commitments, which is another reason why Syria`s future cannot plausibly have Bashar al-Assad in the government," he said.
Annan said on Tuesday that Iran could play a positive role in solving the Syrian crisis and should be part of the solution.
The former UN chief said during his meeting with the Syrian President in Damascus on Monday, they agreed on an approach to the conflict and he would take it to the Syrian opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- It's out! Kangana, Shahid and Saif Ali Khan's 'Rangoon' release date set!
- Indian Premier League 9, Qualifier 1: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Gujarat Lions - As it happened...
- Angelina Jolie to teach masters course at London School of Economics!
- Sarbananda Sonowal takes charge as Assam’s first BJP CM, PM Modi attends his swearing-in
- Desperate times, desperate measures! Parineeti Chopra's make-up ain’t gonna stop – See pic