US sees no Iranian role in ending Syrian violence
Washington: The US has insisted that it sees no role for Iran in ending violence and bloodshed in Syria, Xinhua reported.
"I don`t think anybody with a straight face could argue that Iran has had a positive impact on developments in Syria. That`s our view," White House spokesperson Jay Carney told reporters aboard Air Force One en route to Iowa state.
Iran has opposed any form of foreign intervention in Syria, its close ally, but called on the Syrian government to listen to its people`s demands and carry out reforms.
About the UN-Arab League special envoy for Syria Kofi Annan-brokered peace plan, Carney called it "essential" for the international community to rally behind it, for it to be implemented and for al-Assad to step down to make way for a political transition in Syria.
"We remain highly sceptical about al-Assad`s willingness to meet his commitments, which is another reason why Syria`s future cannot plausibly have Bashar al-Assad in the government," he said.
Annan said on Tuesday that Iran could play a positive role in solving the Syrian crisis and should be part of the solution.
The former UN chief said during his meeting with the Syrian President in Damascus on Monday, they agreed on an approach to the conflict and he would take it to the Syrian opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof