US: Senate bill proposes creation of LGBT rights envoy
Washington: Indian Supreme Court`s two decisions on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender reflects that the degree of their human rights protection is uncertain, a bill moved in the US Senate has alleged.
Introduced in the Senate by Senator Ed Markey and supported by more than two dozen Senators, the bill calls for appointment of a Special Envoy for Human Rights of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender).
"In December 2013, the Supreme Court of India reversed a lower court ruling and reinstated the criminalization of homosexuality in the second most populous nation on Earth. In April 2014, India`s Supreme Court recognised transgender people as a third gender, improving the legal rights of transgender people in that country," the bill said.
"Given these two court decisions, the degree of human rights protections for LGBT persons in India is uncertain," said the bill, according to which removing institutionalized discrimination and targeted persecution against LGBT people around the world is a critical step in the promotion of human rights and global health?internationally.
Referred to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, the bill notes that more than 80 nations around the world have laws that criminalise homosexuality, prohibit public support for the LGBT community, or promote homophobia.
"For the United States to hold true to our commitment to defending the human rights of all people around the world, we must stand with the LGBT community in their struggle for recognition and equality everywhere," Markey said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared