US: Senate bill proposes creation of LGBT rights envoy
Washington: Indian Supreme Court`s two decisions on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender reflects that the degree of their human rights protection is uncertain, a bill moved in the US Senate has alleged.
Introduced in the Senate by Senator Ed Markey and supported by more than two dozen Senators, the bill calls for appointment of a Special Envoy for Human Rights of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender).
"In December 2013, the Supreme Court of India reversed a lower court ruling and reinstated the criminalization of homosexuality in the second most populous nation on Earth. In April 2014, India`s Supreme Court recognised transgender people as a third gender, improving the legal rights of transgender people in that country," the bill said.
"Given these two court decisions, the degree of human rights protections for LGBT persons in India is uncertain," said the bill, according to which removing institutionalized discrimination and targeted persecution against LGBT people around the world is a critical step in the promotion of human rights and global health?internationally.
Referred to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, the bill notes that more than 80 nations around the world have laws that criminalise homosexuality, prohibit public support for the LGBT community, or promote homophobia.
"For the United States to hold true to our commitment to defending the human rights of all people around the world, we must stand with the LGBT community in their struggle for recognition and equality everywhere," Markey said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH