US Senate committee passes defence spending bill
Washington: The White House would need an OK from Congress to use military force in Syria under a defence spending bill in the Senate.
The bill cleared the Senate Appropriations Committee on Thursday. It would spend nearly USD 600 billion on the military, with nearly USD 78 billion for the war in Afghanistan.
Lawmakers added the requirement on Syria before the bill passed.
Democrat Tom Udall is the amendment`s sponsor. Udall sought to bar defence dollars from going to any action in Syria in violation of the War Powers Act.
That is a Vietnam-era law requiring the president to obtain a resolution from Congress.
The bill also includes nearly USD 4.5 billion for shortfalls in military readiness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3