US Senate confirms Bush admin official as FBI Director
Washington: The US Senate on Tuesday confirmed the nomination of James Comey, a former Bush Administration official, as the next Director of the FBI.
Coney, who was confirmed by 93-1 votes by the Senate replaces, Robert Muller as the FBI Director who served in this position for a decade.
Applauding the overwhelming, bipartisan majority of Senators, President Barack Obama said the new FBI Director is natural leader of unquestioned integrity.
"In the face of ever-changing threats, he has repeatedly demonstrated his commitment to defending America`s security and ideals alike. With Jim at the Bureau`s helm, I know that the FBI will be in good hands long after I`ve left office," he said.
"If we learned nothing else since the September 11th attacks, we learned that it matters who leads our Nation - at all levels of Government. James Comey and I do not agree on every issue, but I believe he is committed to the rule of law," said Senator Patrick Leahy, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee who presided over Comey`s confirmation hearing earlier this month.
"The FBI Director bears a special responsibility for ensuring that domestic government surveillance does not unduly infringe upon our freedoms, and as chairman of the Judiciary Committee I will continue to press on this vital issue," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon