US Senate confirms James Clapper as US spy chief
Washington: President Barack Obama`s nominee Lt Gen (retd) James Clapper was on Thursday unanimously confirmed by the US Senate to take over the post of Director of America`s National Intelligence.
As the director, Clapper would oversee the 16 agencies that make up the US intelligence community, including the Central Intelligence Agency and the National Security Agency.
The retired three-star Air Force General, Clapper replaces Dennis Blair, who was fired by President Obama, apparently in the wake of the failed Christmas Day bombing of a North West Airplane.
Clapper, who has spent more than 40 years in public service, including a 32-year Air Force career and senior Intelligence Community leadership positions, would be the fourth individual to hold this position that was created post 9/11 to co-ordinate between different intelligence agencies.
"General Clapper has 46 years in the intelligence field, and he is as qualified and prepared to be director of national intelligence as anyone serving in the federal government today," said Senator Dianne Feinstein, Chair of the Senate intelligence committee.
Clapper has also served as the Undersecretary of Defence for Intelligence, top intelligence post at the Pentagon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof