US Senate confirms John Brennan as CIA director
Washington: The US Senate has confirmed John Brennan as the next director of Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
Currently the counter terrorism adviser to the US President Barack Obama, Brennan, was nominated by a vote of 63 to 34.
The vote was delayed by a 13-hour long filibuster by Republican Senator Rand Paul of Connecticut in pursuit of more information about the administration`s domestic drone policy.
Welcoming the nomination, Obama said that the Senate has recognised Brennan`s qualities and determination to keep US safe along with his commitment to work with Congress and build relationships with foreign partners.
"With John`s 25 years of experience at the Agency, our extraordinary men and women of the CIA will be led by one of their own. I am especially appreciative to Michael Morell for being such an outstanding Acting Director and for agreeing to continue his service as Deputy Director," he said.
He added that the timely accurate intelligence is absolutely critical to disrupting terrorist attacks, dismantling al Qaeda along with its affiliates and meeting the broad array of security challenges that we face as a nation.
"John`s leadership and our dedicated intelligence professionals will be essential in these efforts. I am deeply grateful to John and his family for their continued service to our nation," he said.
The vote on confirmation was moved through the Senate as Paul lifted his filibuster after receiving response to his question from the Attorney General, Eric Holder.
"Does the President have the authority to use a weaponised drone to kill an American not engaged in combat on American soil? The answer to that question is no," according to Holder`s letter to Senator Rand Paul.
"This is a major victory for American civil liberties and ensures the protection of our basic Constitutional rights. We have Separation of Powers to protect our rights. That`s what government was organised to do and Constitution was put in place to do," Paul said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP emerges as big winner in Mumbai, sweeps Pune, Amravati, Nagpur, Nashik
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena way ahead of BJP, leading in 40 seats