US Senate confirms John Brennan as CIA director
Washington: The US Senate has confirmed John Brennan as the next director of Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
Currently the counter terrorism adviser to the US President Barack Obama, Brennan, was nominated by a vote of 63 to 34.
The vote was delayed by a 13-hour long filibuster by Republican Senator Rand Paul of Connecticut in pursuit of more information about the administration`s domestic drone policy.
Welcoming the nomination, Obama said that the Senate has recognised Brennan`s qualities and determination to keep US safe along with his commitment to work with Congress and build relationships with foreign partners.
"With John`s 25 years of experience at the Agency, our extraordinary men and women of the CIA will be led by one of their own. I am especially appreciative to Michael Morell for being such an outstanding Acting Director and for agreeing to continue his service as Deputy Director," he said.
He added that the timely accurate intelligence is absolutely critical to disrupting terrorist attacks, dismantling al Qaeda along with its affiliates and meeting the broad array of security challenges that we face as a nation.
"John`s leadership and our dedicated intelligence professionals will be essential in these efforts. I am deeply grateful to John and his family for their continued service to our nation," he said.
The vote on confirmation was moved through the Senate as Paul lifted his filibuster after receiving response to his question from the Attorney General, Eric Holder.
"Does the President have the authority to use a weaponised drone to kill an American not engaged in combat on American soil? The answer to that question is no," according to Holder`s letter to Senator Rand Paul.
"This is a major victory for American civil liberties and ensures the protection of our basic Constitutional rights. We have Separation of Powers to protect our rights. That`s what government was organised to do and Constitution was put in place to do," Paul said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Manoj Bajpayee's 'Budhia Singh – Born to run' showcases the spirit of world's youngest marathon from Odisha – Watch
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more