US Senate confirms physicist Moniz as energy chief
Washington: The US Senate has unanimously confirmed President Barack Obama`s nominee to lead the Energy Department.
Physicist Ernest Moniz is a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Moniz replaces Steven Chu, who served as energy secretary in Obama`s first term.
Moniz was an energy undersecretary in the Clinton administration.
Republican Senator Lindsey Graham had delayed a vote on Moniz for several weeks.
Graham was protesting Obama`s plan to cut about USD 200 million from a South Carolina project to turn weapons-grade plutonium into fuel for nuclear reactors.
Graham and other Republican lawmakers said the plan jeopardised a plant being built at the Savannah River nuclear site.
Senator Ron Wyden is chairman of the Senate Energy Committee. He calls Moniz smart, savvy and solution-oriented.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter