US Senate confirms physicist Moniz as energy chief
Washington: The US Senate has unanimously confirmed President Barack Obama`s nominee to lead the Energy Department.
Physicist Ernest Moniz is a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Moniz replaces Steven Chu, who served as energy secretary in Obama`s first term.
Moniz was an energy undersecretary in the Clinton administration.
Republican Senator Lindsey Graham had delayed a vote on Moniz for several weeks.
Graham was protesting Obama`s plan to cut about USD 200 million from a South Carolina project to turn weapons-grade plutonium into fuel for nuclear reactors.
Graham and other Republican lawmakers said the plan jeopardised a plant being built at the Savannah River nuclear site.
Senator Ron Wyden is chairman of the Senate Energy Committee. He calls Moniz smart, savvy and solution-oriented.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister