US Senator asks Russia to hand over Snowden immediately
Washington: A top American Senator on Monday urged Russia to immediately hand over Edward Snowden, who is wanted in the US on felony charges, after news reports suggested he has not left Moscow for another country.
"If Snowden is still on Russian territory, I urge your government to apprehend him and turn him over to United States authorities immediately," Senator Lindsay Graham said in a letter to the Russian Ambassador to the US, Sergey Kislyak.
"Media reports have indicated that Edward Snowden took a flight from Hong Kong to Moscow on Sunday June 23, 2013. Reports also indicate that Snowden remains in Russia after failing to depart for a third country this morning. As I am sure you are aware, Snowden is wanted in the United States for criminal violations and should stand trial for his actions," Graham said.
"The Snowden case is an important test of the `reset` in relations between our two countries. Snowden`s own statements have made clear his guilt. If our two nations are to have a constructive relationship moving forward, Russian cooperation in this matter is essential," the top American Senator said.
Graham`s letter, released to the press, after the White House went public seeking Russian co-operation on getting Snowden back to the US, where he has charged of espionage, theft of government data.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble