US Senator asks Russia to hand over Snowden immediately
Washington: A top American Senator on Monday urged Russia to immediately hand over Edward Snowden, who is wanted in the US on felony charges, after news reports suggested he has not left Moscow for another country.
"If Snowden is still on Russian territory, I urge your government to apprehend him and turn him over to United States authorities immediately," Senator Lindsay Graham said in a letter to the Russian Ambassador to the US, Sergey Kislyak.
"Media reports have indicated that Edward Snowden took a flight from Hong Kong to Moscow on Sunday June 23, 2013. Reports also indicate that Snowden remains in Russia after failing to depart for a third country this morning. As I am sure you are aware, Snowden is wanted in the United States for criminal violations and should stand trial for his actions," Graham said.
"The Snowden case is an important test of the `reset` in relations between our two countries. Snowden`s own statements have made clear his guilt. If our two nations are to have a constructive relationship moving forward, Russian cooperation in this matter is essential," the top American Senator said.
Graham`s letter, released to the press, after the White House went public seeking Russian co-operation on getting Snowden back to the US, where he has charged of espionage, theft of government data.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory