US Senator praise Myanmar reforms, calls for more
Yangon: A US senator who is a leading supporter of Myanmar`s democracy movement says he is impressed with the new government`s reforms but that more needs to be done.
Republican leader Mitch McConnell spoke on Monday after meeting for more than an hour with Myanmar pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi. He will meet President Thein Sein on Tuesday.
McConnell`s visit comes on the heels of the US announcement on Friday that it will restore full diplomatic relations with Myanmar following the release of hundreds of political prisoners including prominent activists.
Thein Sein came to power last year after a 2010 general election and launched limited democratic reforms reversing decades of military repression. His government seeks to have US political and economic sanctions lifted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing