US Senator praise Myanmar reforms, calls for more
Yangon: A US senator who is a leading supporter of Myanmar`s democracy movement says he is impressed with the new government`s reforms but that more needs to be done.
Republican leader Mitch McConnell spoke on Monday after meeting for more than an hour with Myanmar pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi. He will meet President Thein Sein on Tuesday.
McConnell`s visit comes on the heels of the US announcement on Friday that it will restore full diplomatic relations with Myanmar following the release of hundreds of political prisoners including prominent activists.
Thein Sein came to power last year after a 2010 general election and launched limited democratic reforms reversing decades of military repression. His government seeks to have US political and economic sanctions lifted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Bleaching kills 35 percent of coral in Great Barrier Reef
- WATCH: Relive Virat Kohli's dream run at IPL 2016 - Here's what the run machine did!
- Ban on large diesel vehicles a transient phase, says Jaitley
- Malegaon blast case: Sadhvi Pragya files for bail after NIA files fresh chargesheet
- Novak Djokovic poised to become first man to win $100 million in prize money