US Senator praise Myanmar reforms, calls for more
Yangon: A US senator who is a leading supporter of Myanmar`s democracy movement says he is impressed with the new government`s reforms but that more needs to be done.
Republican leader Mitch McConnell spoke on Monday after meeting for more than an hour with Myanmar pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi. He will meet President Thein Sein on Tuesday.
McConnell`s visit comes on the heels of the US announcement on Friday that it will restore full diplomatic relations with Myanmar following the release of hundreds of political prisoners including prominent activists.
Thein Sein came to power last year after a 2010 general election and launched limited democratic reforms reversing decades of military repression. His government seeks to have US political and economic sanctions lifted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why