US Senator praise Myanmar reforms, calls for more
Yangon: A US senator who is a leading supporter of Myanmar`s democracy movement says he is impressed with the new government`s reforms but that more needs to be done.
Republican leader Mitch McConnell spoke on Monday after meeting for more than an hour with Myanmar pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi. He will meet President Thein Sein on Tuesday.
McConnell`s visit comes on the heels of the US announcement on Friday that it will restore full diplomatic relations with Myanmar following the release of hundreds of political prisoners including prominent activists.
Thein Sein came to power last year after a 2010 general election and launched limited democratic reforms reversing decades of military repression. His government seeks to have US political and economic sanctions lifted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people