US senator rejects `sucks` as online neighbourhood
Washington: A high-ranking US senator has urged Internet regulators to pull the plug on a proposed online neighbourhood for website addresses ending in ".Sucks."
Senator John (Jay) Rockefeller argued in a letter to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers yesterday that such an Internet zone aimed to compel companies to buy addresses for the sole purpose of preventing someone from using them.
"I view it as little more than a predatory shakedown scheme," the chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee said in a letter addressed to the head of ICANN`s board of directors.
Any benefit from such a new generic Top Level Domain (gTLD) would be far outweighed by its potential to be used to "defame" individuals, non-profit organisations and businesses, Rockefeller said.
He identified three companies vying for ICANN`s blessing to run the domain with the expressed reasoning that such addresses would inspire debate and benefit consumers.
Rockefeller contended that the apparent business model aimed to get people, groups or companies to pay recurring fees to avoid having ".Sucks" appended to their names in website addresses.
One contender for running the domain is offering pre-registration of website names for USD 2,500, with a warning that the price will leap 10-fold when it is close to opening, according to the senator.
ICANN did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
New online neighbourhoods began opening in January with the arrivals of ".Guru," ".Bike" -- and even ".Singles."
Opening the Internet to domain names that go far beyond .Com, .Net, .Gov, and .Edu has been heralded by ICANN as the biggest change to the Web since it was created.
More than 100 new gTLDs have cleared hurdles to reach registries such as Donuts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why