US senator says same sex couples should get benefits
Washington: The head of the Senate Judiciary Committee wants the government to start affording same sex, married couples the same immigration benefits that heterosexual couples now enjoy.
Senator Patrick Leahy, a Democrat, says he will introduce later today the Uniting Families Act, a bill that would provide spousal immigration benefits to same sex couples. Leahy discussed the bill briefly during a committee hearing on immigration reform.
Because the federal government does not currently recognise same sex marriages, US citizens cannot sponsor their same sex partners for immigration benefits, including green cards.
The Justice Department is no longer defending the federal Defence of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as being between a man and a woman. The Supreme Court is set to take up three gay marriage cases later this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday