US Senator was sexually abused as child
Boston: Republican US Senator Scott Brown says in an interview with the program `60 Minutes` that he was physically and sexually abused as a child, CBS said on Wednesday.
The Massachusetts senator, 51, says he was sexually abused by a camp counsellor and physically abused by stepfathers, according to a statement from the network`s news program.
"He said, `If you tell anybody ... I`ll kill you. I will make sure that nobody believes you’," Brown says of the encounters with the counsellor, according to CBS.
Brown catapulted onto the US political scene in 2010 by winning the Senate seat held for decades by Democratic icon Ted Kennedy, who died in 2009.
The interview is to be aired on `60 Minutes` on February 20. The revelations are also detailed in Brown`s upcoming book, `Against All Odds`.
Brown said in a statement he hopes people are inspired by his message.
"My book is about overcoming obstacles. The physical and sexual abuse is in my book. It`s a part of my life, but it certainly isn`t the only part of my life story which I tell," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?