US Senators disappointed at British PM’s refusal to meet them
Washington: Four US Senators have
expressed their disappointment over the refusal of British
Prime Minister David Cameron to meet them on the issues
related to the release of Lockerbie bomber last year.
"It is disappointing that the Prime Minister will not
agree to our meeting request, because it is critical for us to
get the full story from the British government about the
release of al-Megrahi," New Jersey Senator Bob Menendez said
in a statement.
According to news reports, Cameron has declined a
request by Senators Robert Menendez), Kirsten Gillibrand,
Frank Lautenberg and Charles Schumer to meet to discuss the
circumstances surrounding the release of Lockerbie bomber
Abdelbasset al-Megrahi from a Scottish prison last year.
Cameron will be in Washington this week as questions
mount about the inaccurate medical prognosis that allowed
al-Megrahi to be released on compassionate grounds and the
possible influence of a BP oil deal with Libya on the decision
to release him.
Menendez will chair a July 29 Foreign Relations Committee hearing on the matter.
"Since he will not discuss this with us in person, the
Prime Minister should ensure that current and former British
government officials cooperate fully with our Foreign
Relations Committee hearing next week, including providing
testimony if they are asked," he demanded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam