US Senators tell Obama to get tough on Snowden issue
Washington: Top US senators have reportedly asked Obama administration to get tougher on the issue of NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden and have suggested calling off trade ties with the countries considered aiding the US `fugitive`.
According to Fox News, Senator Schumer D-N.Y. has urged US government to call off the trade ties with Ecuador, cut off millions in foreign aid to the country and suspend favorable trade status which Ecuador has decided already.
However, Schumer said that in addition to breaking the trade pacts, US could exert leverage against Ecuador by ending the 85,000 business visas between the two countries.
Meanwhile, Senator John McCain, R-Ariz has suggested that US should also put pressure on Russian president Vladimir Putin and called it a `direct slap on the face of America` when Putin refused to intervene in Snowden`s case.
Snowden who has been stuck up at Moscow`s Shermetyevo airport`s transit area and with his US passport revoked, he needs special travel document from Russian authorities to claim asylum in Ecuadorean Embassy.
However, US President Barack Obama had earlier refused to personally get into any diplomatic `wheeling and dealing` with other countries to get a `fugitive` back to US land and had asked the countries as part of the international community to respect and follow the international law, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning