US seriously probing News Corp 9/11 hacking report
Washington: US Attorney General Eric Holder will reassure families of September 11 victims when he meets them later this month that the Justice Department is seriously investigating allegations that News Corp reporters tried to hack victims` phones.
"I`ll certainly want to hear what they have to say with regard to their concerns and, to the extent that I can share information with them, I will," Holder said on Wednesday.
"I will try to reassure them that this is something we are taking seriously," he told reporters.
Holder will meet with the families on August 24 at their request following a report in Britain`s Daily Mirror newspaper that reporters with the rival News of the World had offered to pay a New York police officer for private phone records of some victims of the 2001 attacks.
The Mirror report, citing an unidentified source, has yet to be independently verified but has fuelled speculation that the phone hacking scandal that has rocked Rupert Murdoch`s News Corp media empire in Britain may spread to the United States.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation opened an investigation into the hacking allegation after the Daily Mirror report appeared.
The amount of information that Holder can share with the victims` families will likely be limited because of the ongoing investigation.
During an inquiry by members of Britain`s Parliament in London last month, Murdoch said there was nothing to suggest his reporters had hacked the phones of September 11 victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened