US sheriff defends Obama assassination joke
Plymouth: A Republican sheriff is defending a joke he told at a St. Patrick`s Day breakfast in which Abraham Lincoln visits President Barack Obama in a dream and suggests he go to the theater.
Lincoln was assassinated in a theater and Democratic critics say even a joke suggesting the current president might get shot was inappropriate, especially from a public safety official.
Plymouth County Sheriff Joseph D. McDonald Jr. Made the joke Sunday at the heavily Republican breakfast.
He told the Patriot Ledger of Quincy yesterday the uproar over an old joke is "absurd."
He says it was no different than Democrats joking about former President George W. Bush going hunting with former Vice President Dick Cheney, who accidentally wounded a hunting partner in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!