US shooter’s mom feared as he ‘burnt himself with lighter’
Washington: Roughly one week before Adam Lanza went on a deadly shooting rampage at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut his mother Nancy Lanza reportedly told a friend that she feared her always-eccentric son was “getting worse.”
A drinking buddy of Lanza said that her son had long been troubled and rarely came up in conversation.
“She just looked down at the glass and said, ‘I don’t know. I’m worried I’m losing him,’” the bar pal, who asked not to be named, said.
“She said it was getting worse. She was having trouble reaching him,” the pal said.
According to the New York Daily News, Adam, who killed his mother, 54, before going on a shooting spree at a school that killed 20 children and six others on Friday, was prone to hurting himself, the drinking buddy said.
“Nancy told me he was burning himself with a lighter. In the ankles or arms or something,” he recalled of a conversation they had about a year ago.
“It was like he was trying to feel something,” he said.
Authorities said that Adam, 20, the 20-year-old shot himself as police stormed the school that had become one of the most horrifying crime scenes in recent memory.
In hindsight, the conversation last week over craft beers could not have been more foreboding, the friend said.
“It was weird. She never really talked about (Adam),” he said, adding: “She mainly talked about her oldest kid (Ryan). I knew about the other one, but she never spoke much about him.
“She looked disturbed. She was looking down at her glass and kind of talking slowly,” he added.
“Adam learned how to shoot a rifle by the time he was 9 years old,” the friend, who added that he never met the disturbed kid, said, adding: “They would go to the range.”
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended