US shooting: Obama to visit Newtown to meet victims` kin
Washington: US President Barack Obama is set to travel to Newtown in Connecticut to meet the families of the victims of a deadly shooting at an elementary school that left 20 young children and six adults dead.
The President will visit Newtown to "meet with the families of those who were lost" and thank first responders, White House Press Secretary, Jay Carney, said.
"The President will also speak at an interfaith vigil for families of the victims as well as families from Sandy Hook Elementary School scheduled for 7 PM EST (5:30 AM IST tomorrow)," Carney said in a statement.
The statement came two days after a gunman killed 20 young children and six adults at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown. The gunman had killed his mother at her apartment before going on the shooting spree at the school, where his body was also found later.
Meanwhile, the World Sikh Council?American Region (WSC-AR), an organisation representing gurdwaras in the US, called for prayer meetings and candle light vigils in gurdwaras across the country today.
"Gurdwaras are requested to hold a special `Diwan` on Sunday, December 16, 2012 to remember the massacre (victims) at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, and sing or read a special `Shabad` relevant to this very occasion.
"We also suggest that a special `Ardaas` be held for the departed souls and those injured in this tragedy," WSC-AR said in a statement.
"All the gurdwaras across our nation and beyond should consider holding a candle light vigil or join any vigils in their respective towns," it said.
Expressing shock at the tragedy, California-based North American Punjabi Association (NAPA) said, with the nation still overcoming the grief of the Wisconsin gurdwara shooting in August that left six Sikh worshippers dead, this incident has added to the pain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Union Cabinet clears Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016 – Know the new rules
- 6.8 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar; tremors felt in northeast, Kolkata, Patna, Guwahati
- Did OP Jaisha lie about official apathy in Rio? Here is her co-runner's version
- Can bear body odour, not bad breath: Ranveer Singh
- Tamil actor Vijay's father undergoes surgery after fall