US Shooting: Sandy Hook teacher ‘who took bullets for kids’ remembered
Washington: A first-grade teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Victoria Soto, tried to shield her students using her body from the maniacal shooter, who killed nearly 20 kids in the shooting spree, friends and family said.
“She put herself between the gunman and her students,” her cousin Jim Wiltsie said.
Soto paid for her bravery with her life. But in doing so, the 27-year-old saved her first-graders from the murderous wrath of Adam Lanza — and became a hero, the report said.
“The family received information she was found shielding her students in a closet,” Soto’s cousin Jim Wiltsie said, adding: “She put herself between the gunman and her students.”
“I’m very proud to report she was a hero,” said Wiltsie, who is a police officer in Fairfield, Connecticut.
“I would expect nothing less from Vicki. Instinctively her training kicked in. She did what she was trained to do, but also what her heart told her to do,” Wiltsie added.
“She absolutely adored her family, a very close-knit family,” Wiltsie said.
“She was the ringleader of the bunch. They had just done secret Santa. She always took charge,” she added.
No funeral arrangements have been made yet for Soto because her body has not been released.
But Wilstie said he wants the world to know Vicki’s story now, before she is buried and forgotten.
“I want to get this out there,” he said, adding:“Instead of her just being a statistic or number on a piece of paper, I want people to know Vicki’s story and put a face behind what she did for those kids.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India