US Shooting: Sandy Hook teacher ‘who took bullets for kids’ remembered
Washington: A first-grade teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Victoria Soto, tried to shield her students using her body from the maniacal shooter, who killed nearly 20 kids in the shooting spree, friends and family said.
“She put herself between the gunman and her students,” her cousin Jim Wiltsie said.
Soto paid for her bravery with her life. But in doing so, the 27-year-old saved her first-graders from the murderous wrath of Adam Lanza — and became a hero, the report said.
“The family received information she was found shielding her students in a closet,” Soto’s cousin Jim Wiltsie said, adding: “She put herself between the gunman and her students.”
“I’m very proud to report she was a hero,” said Wiltsie, who is a police officer in Fairfield, Connecticut.
“I would expect nothing less from Vicki. Instinctively her training kicked in. She did what she was trained to do, but also what her heart told her to do,” Wiltsie added.
“She absolutely adored her family, a very close-knit family,” Wiltsie said.
“She was the ringleader of the bunch. They had just done secret Santa. She always took charge,” she added.
No funeral arrangements have been made yet for Soto because her body has not been released.
But Wilstie said he wants the world to know Vicki’s story now, before she is buried and forgotten.
“I want to get this out there,” he said, adding:“Instead of her just being a statistic or number on a piece of paper, I want people to know Vicki’s story and put a face behind what she did for those kids.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez