US shutdown: Obama invites Republicans, Democrats to White House for talks
Zee Media Bureau/Neha Attre
Washington: In a bid to resolve the stalemate and to increase the debt ceiling, US President Barack Obama will meet Republicans and Democrats at White House on Wednesday.
The meeting with the House Democrats today will be a first in the series of meetings scheduled to be held in the coming few days, as per reports.
Obama`s meeting with the members of Republican parties will follow in the coming few days.
The meeting is an attempt to resolve the differences between Obama and Speaker John Boehner ahead of the impending deadline on October 17 approaching for the passing of budget.
While the Republicans do not want to increase the debt ceiling of, which would in turn increase the borrowing limit of US, the Democrats will attempt to pass the same.
Earlier in the day, Obama and Boehner traded barbed comments over the stalemate.
Obama had reprimanded the Republicans for using ‘extortion’ tactics over solving the shutdown and the debt ceiling issue. Obama said that he was ready to talk to the Republicans only after they reopened the government and raised the debt limit.
Meanwhile, Boehner refused to concede to the US President`s demands and said that he dosen`t agree with Obama as he feels that the latter wants "unconditional surrender" from the Republicans for the talks. "That`s not the way our government works," he said.
The Treasury Department had set October 17 deadline after which the US government will have to rely on day-to-day on tax and other receipts to pay its bills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand