US shutdown: Obama rejects proposed debt plan by Republicans
Zee Media Bureau/ Neha Attre
Washington: The White House on Tuesday dismissed a possible plan by the Republicans that could have put an end to the US shutdown and end the political deadlock.
"The President has said repeatedly that Members of Congress don`t get to demand ransom for fulfilling their basic responsibilities to pass a budget and pay the nation`s bills," said White House spokeswoman Amy Brundage.
"Unfortunately, the latest proposal from House Republicans does just that in a partisan attempt to appease a small group of Tea Party Republicans who forced the government shutdown in the first place," she said.
With only few days left for a historic US debt default, an alternate plan was proposed by the members of the Republican Party.
US President Barack Obama is scheduled to meet Democrats today to decide on the future course of action.
The proposed plan aimed to raise the debt limit to USD 16.7 trillion and postpone ‘Obamacare’ tax on medical instruments for two years.
The US government has been shut since October 01 when the Congress failed to pass a budget. It risks marking a first in the US history by causing America to default on its debts if the debt ceiling is not raised by October 17.
The shutdown has affected over 4 lakh federal employees and national parks and museums have been closed.
If the US fails to reach any solution on raising its debt ceiling before Oct 17, the impact could have wider international ramifications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow