US shutdown: Obama rejects proposed debt plan by Republicans
Zee Media Bureau/ Neha Attre
Washington: The White House on Tuesday dismissed a possible plan by the Republicans that could have put an end to the US shutdown and end the political deadlock.
"The President has said repeatedly that Members of Congress don`t get to demand ransom for fulfilling their basic responsibilities to pass a budget and pay the nation`s bills," said White House spokeswoman Amy Brundage.
"Unfortunately, the latest proposal from House Republicans does just that in a partisan attempt to appease a small group of Tea Party Republicans who forced the government shutdown in the first place," she said.
With only few days left for a historic US debt default, an alternate plan was proposed by the members of the Republican Party.
US President Barack Obama is scheduled to meet Democrats today to decide on the future course of action.
The proposed plan aimed to raise the debt limit to USD 16.7 trillion and postpone ‘Obamacare’ tax on medical instruments for two years.
The US government has been shut since October 01 when the Congress failed to pass a budget. It risks marking a first in the US history by causing America to default on its debts if the debt ceiling is not raised by October 17.
The shutdown has affected over 4 lakh federal employees and national parks and museums have been closed.
If the US fails to reach any solution on raising its debt ceiling before Oct 17, the impact could have wider international ramifications.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!