US shutdown: White House wears deserted look, Obama remains low-key
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: As the partial US shutdown entered its second week, the impact was clearly visible at the White House where 3 out of 4 staffers have reportedly been asked to go on temporary unpaid leave.
The White House also wore a deserted look with out of around 1,700 White House workers including advisers, butlers and chefs, the ‘non-essential’ workers have been asked to go on leave with only around 450 people having been asked to stay back, as per a news agency report.
Even US President Barack Obama is severely affected by the shutdown as he was seen moving around sans his usual staffers as he stepped out. The shutdown also means that the US President and first lady Michelle Obama will have to forgo their leisure outings as they used to.
The couple did not even have any grand celebrations for their 21st wedding anniversary last week.
The White House switchboard has been put on an automated message that says, “We apologize, but due to the lapse in federal funding, we are unable to take your call.”
Even the White House daily updates section read news clipping that stated “Congress slips toward shutdown.”
While the daily functions at the White House continue, the staff at president Barack Obama’s official residence has been cut down to 15 from 90.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad