US Sikh body hires lobbying firm after Jay Leno row
Washington: A Sikh body in the US on Thursday
announced the hiring of a lobbying firm to educate the
American media about the true identity, image and message of
Sikhism and the importance of the Golden Temple to the
community in the wake of popular TV host Jay Leno`s
controversial remark that sparked a global outrage.
"The lobbyists will approach NBC to provide a forum to a
panel of Sikh scholars and notables to educate media and
American public about the sanctity and sensitivity of the Sri
Harmandir Sahib," said Sikh for Justice in a statement.
The decision comes in the wake of the controversial
remarks on the Golden Temple by Leno on the NBC news channel.
In the programme, the Golden Temple was shown as the
summer home of Mitt Romney, the leading Republican
NBC will also be urged to run a documentary on Sikhism
during prime time to help spreading the true identity, image
and message of Sikh religion, it said, adding that lobbyists
will approach the US media to run segments showing authentic
message of Sikhism.
Attorney Gurpatwant Pannun, legal advisor to SFJ, said
educating the international media about true information
regarding Sikhs is much needed to spread the true message of
Sikhism and to put an end to the decade-long spree of violent
"hate crimes" against Sikhs.
"Since 9/11, from the hate driven murder of Balbir Singh
Sodhi in 2001 to the December 2011 attack on Sikh elderly in
Fresno, hundreds of Sikhs have been victims of hate crime in
the United States," he said.
Tejkaran Kaur, SFJ Youth Coordinator, said it`s the
misinformation about the Sikh religion and identity which is
solely responsible for the hate crimes against Sikhs in the
United States after September 11.
"Wrongful depiction of Sri Harmandir Sahib by Jay Leno
does not help in disseminating correct information about Sikh
religion and instead makes Sikhs more vulnerable," she said.
"Sikhs are particularly sensitive about the sanctity of
Sri Harmandir Sahib...," Kaur said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly