US slams media censorship in China
Washington: The United States has said that it believes the media censorship in China is incompatible with country`s aspirations to build a modern information-based economy and society.
"We have long defended and supported the right of media freedom, both for Chinese journalists and for international journalists operating in China," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters.
"We believe that censorship of the media is incompatible with China`s aspirations to build a modern information-based economy and society," Nuland said when asked about the protests outside the offices of a weekly newspaper in China after an article was pulled.
"It is, of course, interesting that we now have Chinese who are strongly taking up their right for free speech, and we hope the government`s taking notice," Nuland said.
Hundreds of people had held demonstrated in support of media freedom in China yesterday, outside the offices of a newspaper at the center of a censorship row, in a rare public display of anger on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Plane catches fire while making emergency landing in Singapore
- Dear Deepika Padukone, your IIFA attires were KILLER! View in pics
- Clerics issue fatwa, make transgender marriage lawful in Pakistan
- Oil prices fall as Brexit lingers, refined products glut looms
- This Shiva temple in Pune built by Peshwa Nanasaheb is unique – Details inside