US slams media censorship in China
Washington: The United States has said that it believes the media censorship in China is incompatible with country`s aspirations to build a modern information-based economy and society.
"We have long defended and supported the right of media freedom, both for Chinese journalists and for international journalists operating in China," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters.
"We believe that censorship of the media is incompatible with China`s aspirations to build a modern information-based economy and society," Nuland said when asked about the protests outside the offices of a weekly newspaper in China after an article was pulled.
"It is, of course, interesting that we now have Chinese who are strongly taking up their right for free speech, and we hope the government`s taking notice," Nuland said.
Hundreds of people had held demonstrated in support of media freedom in China yesterday, outside the offices of a newspaper at the center of a censorship row, in a rare public display of anger on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31