US slams media censorship in China
Washington: The United States has said that it believes the media censorship in China is incompatible with country`s aspirations to build a modern information-based economy and society.
"We have long defended and supported the right of media freedom, both for Chinese journalists and for international journalists operating in China," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters.
"We believe that censorship of the media is incompatible with China`s aspirations to build a modern information-based economy and society," Nuland said when asked about the protests outside the offices of a weekly newspaper in China after an article was pulled.
"It is, of course, interesting that we now have Chinese who are strongly taking up their right for free speech, and we hope the government`s taking notice," Nuland said.
Hundreds of people had held demonstrated in support of media freedom in China yesterday, outside the offices of a newspaper at the center of a censorship row, in a rare public display of anger on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam