US slams Putin to accuse it of Gaddafi killing
Baghdad: Washington said on Thursday it was
"ludicrous" to accuse it of a role in the killing of Libya`s
Muammar Gaddafi after Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin
said US Special Forces were involved.
"The assertion that US special operations forces were
involved in the killing of Colonel Gaddafi is ludicrous," US
Defence Secretary Leon Panetta`s spokesman, Captain John
"The killing of Gaddafi has been very well documented
publicly -- the circumstances surrounding it and whom in fact
was responsible for it," he said in Baghdad where he was
accompanying the Pentagon chief for a flag-lowering ceremony
marking the end of the war in Iraq.
"The circumstances speak for themselves on how Colonel
Kadhafi met his fate," added Kirby.
"We did not have American boots on the ground in the
Libya operation. All our support was done through the air and
on the seas."
Speaking in his annual televised phone-in with
Russians, Putin had accused the US special forces of being
involved in Gaddafi`s killing, the first time Moscow has
pointed the finger at Washington.
"Who did this?" Putin asked.
"Drones, including American ones. They attacked his
column. Then using the radio -- through the special forces,
who should not have been there -- they brought in the
so-called opposition and fighters, and killed him without
court or investigation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice