US slaps more sanctions on Syria
Washington: US has tightened the noose
against the Syrian regime by slapping sanctions against three of its top officials including the country`s Foreign Minister.
Besides the Foreign and Expatriates Minister, Walid
Al-Moallem, other two are Syria`s Presidential Political and
Media Advisor Bouthaina Shaaban and Syria`s Ambassador to
Lebanon Ali Abdul Karim Ali.
"Building on our sanctions targeting the entire
Government of Syria, we are bringing additional pressure to
bear today directly on three senior Asad regime officials who
are principal defenders of the regime`s activities," said
Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence David
"This is part of our ongoing effort to lead the
international community in tightening both the political and
economic noose on the Asad regime.
We believe that other countries should follow suit on the
sanctions that we have already put forward, including the
economic sanctions. This is a guy who is part of the campaign
of violence. We sanctioned his boss, Asad, and now we are
sanctioning him," State Department spokesperson Victoria
Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
Nuland said the US had particular concerns about the role
these individual plays in the Syrian regime`s reign of terror.
"We have particular concerns about the treatment of
Syrians in Lebanon and the fact that so many of them have
disappeared," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter