US slaps sanctions on Syrian bank
Washington: The US on Wednesday imposed sanctions on the Syria International Islamic Bank (SIIB) for its role in helping other Syrian banks evade sanctions.
The US Treasury Department accused the bank of acting for the Commercial Bank of Syria and providing services to its subsidiary, the Syrian Lebanese Commercial Bank, both of which were put under sanctions by Washington in August 2011, Xinhua reported.
It said SIIB "surreptitiously" facilitated financing worth almost $150 mn on behalf of the Commercial Bank of Syria from 2011 to 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress