US slaps sanctions on Taliban top bomb maker
Washington: In a first ever major action on
network of explosive manufacturers of Taliban, the US has
slapped sanctions on one of its senior leaders Abdul Samad
Achekzai who is known to be an expert in manufacturing of the
improvised explosive devices (IED).
"As a key official in the Taliban`s IED supply network,
Abdul Samad Achekzai is responsible for untold death and
suffering," Director of Treasury`s Office of Foreign Assets
Control Adam Szubin said yesterday.
IED has continued to be the major cause behind casualties
of American soldiers in Afghanistan ever since the US started
its mission in 2001.
"IEDs are the leading cause of casualties among coalition
troops and civilians in Afghanistan and we must do everything
in our power to expose and disrupt the purveyors of these
deadly devices," the official said.
With this sanctions, Achekzai`s entire property in the US
or in possession or control of US nationals having his
interest will be blocked.
US nationals have also been prohibited from engaging in
transactions with him.
Samad was part of various attacks carried out by the
Taliban in Afghanistan and in 2011, he worked on a plot to
assassinate an Afghan Border Police commander, the Department
of Treasury said, adding that he had also recruited a suicide
bomber for the purpose.
Till mid-2010, Samad was in-charge of work like storage
and procurement of IED component, detonator construction and
conducting IED training in support of Taliban fighters in
western and southern Afghanistan, the department said.
In 2010, Samad had sent five Taliban suicide bombers to
Qandahar to target Afghan authorities whereas in early 2011,
he had deployed five suicide bombers to conduct attacks on
Coalition Forces and Afghan authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- WATCH: Relive Virat Kohli's dream run at IPL 2016 - Here's what the run machine did!
- Ban on large diesel vehicles a transient phase, says Jaitley
- Malegaon blast case: Sadhvi Pragya files for bail after NIA files fresh chargesheet
- Novak Djokovic poised to become first man to win $100 million in prize money
- Bihar Board class 10th results: More than 50 percent students fail in exams - Is this the reason?