US soldier charged with murder in Iraq killings
Seattle: A US Army soldier has been charged with premeditated murder in the deaths of two civilians during the Iraq war.
A Joint Base Lewis-McChord release yesterday says that Sgt. 1st Class Michael Barbera was charged in the 2007 killings. The charges stem from an investigation into the shootings of two people near the village of As Sadah in Diyala Province on March 6, 2007.
Officials say Barbera is currently assigned to Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Alaska. They say Barbera is not in pre-trial confinement, but is awaiting a transfer to the Washington state base.
While Barbera has been charged, the next step is an Article 32 investigation which decides if he should be court martialed. No date has been scheduled for the Article 32.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Shah Rukh, Ranbir, Abhishek and Amitabh clicked together at Pro Kabaddi League! Pics inside
- BJP's Yashwant Sinha slams NDA policy towards Pakistan, hints at war-like-situation
- Music-sharing and larger emojis for WhatsApp for iOS soon?
- After Mumbai Indians, Krunal and Hardik Pandya to play for new team
- Procedural delay and not failure, says MEA on India's NSG membership issue