US soldier charged with murder in Iraq killings
Seattle: A US Army soldier has been charged with premeditated murder in the deaths of two civilians during the Iraq war.
A Joint Base Lewis-McChord release yesterday says that Sgt. 1st Class Michael Barbera was charged in the 2007 killings. The charges stem from an investigation into the shootings of two people near the village of As Sadah in Diyala Province on March 6, 2007.
Officials say Barbera is currently assigned to Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Alaska. They say Barbera is not in pre-trial confinement, but is awaiting a transfer to the Washington state base.
While Barbera has been charged, the next step is an Article 32 investigation which decides if he should be court martialed. No date has been scheduled for the Article 32.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez