US: `Soldier planned to bomb Texas eatery`
Waco: A Muslim soldier was stopped hours before completing assembly of a bomb that he planned to detonate at a restaurant full of Fort Hood troops, prosecutors said during opening statements on Tuesday at his federal trial.
After Pfc Naser Jason Abdo was arrested at a motel near the Texas Army post in July, police found components for an explosive device in his room and backpack, showing he "intended to commit mass murder”, prosecutor Gregg Sofer said.
Abdo, 22, could be sentenced to life in prison if convicted of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and five other charges.
But lead defence attorney Zach Boyd countered in US District Court in Waco that no bomb was ever built, and the government is "not going to be able to get around that fact”.
Abdo was AWOL from Fort Campbell, Kentucky, when he was arrested in Killeen, Texas. He told investigators that he went to Texas to "martyr himself" for the people of Iraq and Afghanistan, said FBI special agent C Michael Owens, the first prosecution witness.
Owens testified that Abdo told investigators he planned to put a bomb in what looked like a gift box, leave it a Chinese buffet frequented by Fort Hood soldiers, wait outside and shoot any survivors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'