US: Somali pirates plead guilty to yacht hijacking
Washington: Three Somali men pleaded guilty on Friday to piracy charges related to the hijacking of a yacht off the coast of Oman in February that left four Americans dead.
Mohamud Hirs Issa Ali, 32, and Mohamud Salad Ali, 35, and Ali Abdi Mohamed, 35, pleaded guilty in a federal court in the eastern state of Virginia, according to US prosecutors.
The owners of the yacht Quest, Jean and Scott Adam, were Christian missionaries based in California who were sailing around the world at the time of the hijacking.
They were shot to death, along with their companions Bob Riggle and Phyllis Macay from Seattle, Washington, several days after being taken hostage and as negotiations were taking place with US Navy officials.
Issa Ali and Salad Ali pleaded guilty to acts of piracy and hostage taking resulting in death, as part of plea agreements that will allow them to avoid the death penalty. They face life in prison.
The two men "acknowledged in connection with their pleas that they served as leaders of the piracy operation," prosecutors said in a statement.
The third man, Abdi Mohamed, who also made a plea deal, acknowledged "that he fired a rocket propelled grenade in the course of the crime”. He pleaded guilty to piracy. He also faces life in prison.
"All three defendants warranted in their plea agreements that they played no role in the murder of the four US citizens," the statement said.
Plea deals allow defendants to seek reductions in their sentences.
"He avoids death with the plea," Jon Babineau, lawyer for Issa Ali, said.
Eight other suspects in the case were also expected to plead guilty on Monday.
Accused Somali pirate Mohammad Saaili Shibin, said to have been the chief negotiator in the hijacking, was indicted on charges related to the killings earlier this year.
US service members, who had been trailing the yacht during the hostage drama, boarded the vessel after hearing gunshots and discovered the Americans` bodies, according to US officials.
The US military said it had undertaken negotiations, led by Shibin, to secure the release of the hostages at the time the pirates fatally shot their captives.
At the time of their arrest, the pirates were said to have been in possession of heavy weaponry, including a grenade launcher and several assault rifles.
The men are among 15 people -- 14 from Somalia and one from Yemen -- arrested after the attack for their roles in the kidnapping and killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark