US, South Korea launch naval drill
Seoul: South Korea and the US have begun an anti-submarine exercise in the Yellow Sea, the Yonhap news agency reported. The drill will continue till Friday.
The exercise involves a nuclear-powered Los Angeles-class submarine, Aegis destroyers and P-3C maritime surveillance aircraft deployed from US bases, as well as South Korean destroyers, submarines and maritime aircraft, military officials said.
"It is part of an annual routine drill held to prepare against an adversary`s submarine infiltration," Yonhap quoted a military official as saying.
The anti-submarine drill comes after the US and South Korea completed their two-month-long Foal Eagle joint exercises last week, amid high inter-Korean tensions.
North Korea reacted angrily to the latest drills, with a spokesman for the Policy Department of the National Defense Commission calling on Seoul to stop "hostile acts and military provocations".
Seoul`s defence ministry vowed not to give in to Pyongyang`s demands.
"As the drills are designed to defend against North Korean provocations, they cannot be stopped," defence ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok was quoted by Yonhap as saying.
"As long as the North maintains its hostile stance, the joint drills will continue."
Tensions have risen sharply on the Korean Peninsula since December, when North Korea tested a long-range Taepodong 2 missile, followed in February by its third nuclear test.
After the start of the Foal Eagle exercises, North Korea threatened to carry out a nuclear attack on the US mainland and on US forces in the region, and later denied entry to South Korean workers to the jointly run Kaesong industrial complex in North Korea, prompting South Korea to withdraw its remaining workers from the site.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations