US special envoy to OIC meets Zardari in Mecca
Washington: US special envoy to Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) Rashad Hussain met Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari on the sidelines of the OIC Heads of the State Summit in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.
Indian-American Hussain also had meetings with the leaders from Malaysia, Mauritania, Senegal, Nigeria, and the OIC Secretary General.
"They discussed a number of issues, including Syria, the democratic transitions in the Middle East and North Africa, and US engagement with Muslim communities around the world," a State Department statement said.
He also had a pre-dawn Ramadan meal with King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia and other leaders from OIC countries, including Turkish President Abdullah Gul and Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
"Hussain`s attendance demonstrates the United States` commitment to working with our partners in the international community to support the aspirations of the Syrian people and bring additional pressure to bear on the Assad regime," the State Department said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore