`US spends more on pizza than on space’
Kolkata: With the US government cutting the budget for space missions, former NASA astronaut Marsha S. Ivins Thursday said her country loved to spend more on pizza than on space exploration.
"Decisions on space programmes are political. It is on the party which is in power to decide on the budget of space missions -- whether to send out space missions or not," said Ivins, who has been on five space missions.
The 61-year-old was here to interact with students.
"We don`t spend a lot of money on space programmes. In US, we spend more on pizzas every year than on our entire space programme. The amount may sound large but if you compare it to the spending in other sectors, it is relatively small," she said.
Ivins said future space missions should be aimed at the moon because it takes three days to go there and it was easier to reach Mars from the moon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured