`US spends more on pizza than on space’
Kolkata: With the US government cutting the budget for space missions, former NASA astronaut Marsha S. Ivins Thursday said her country loved to spend more on pizza than on space exploration.
"Decisions on space programmes are political. It is on the party which is in power to decide on the budget of space missions -- whether to send out space missions or not," said Ivins, who has been on five space missions.
The 61-year-old was here to interact with students.
"We don`t spend a lot of money on space programmes. In US, we spend more on pizzas every year than on our entire space programme. The amount may sound large but if you compare it to the spending in other sectors, it is relatively small," she said.
Ivins said future space missions should be aimed at the moon because it takes three days to go there and it was easier to reach Mars from the moon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE