US spy chief defends surveillance for terror prevention
Beijing: US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper on Thursday defended the code-named PRISM program that tapped into Internet companies for intelligence, saying the related reports published by the British Guardian newspaper and the Washington Post contained "numerous inaccuracies”.
Clapper said in a statement that the articles omitted key information regarding how a classified intelligence collection program is used to prevent terrorist attacks and the numerous safeguards that protect privacy and civil liberties.
Clapper also warned that the unauthorised disclosure of information about this important program was "reprehensible" and risked important protections for the security of Americans.
According to the reports posted by the Guardian and the Washington Post, US National Security Agency (NSA) and the FBI are secretly tapping directly into the central servers of nine US internet companies, extracting audio, video, photographs, e-mails, documents and connection logs that enable analysts to track a person`s movements and contacts over time.
This code-named PRISM program was established in 2007 and saw exponential growth in the past 6 years. Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, PalTalk, AOL, Skype, YouTube and Apple all participated knowingly in PRISM operations, the reports said.
Clapper said that discussing programs like this publicly would have an impact on the behaviour of the agency`s "adversaries" and make it more difficult to understand their intentions.
"Surveillance programs like this one are consistently subject to safeguards that are designed to strike the appropriate balance between national security interests and civil liberties and privacy concerns," argued Clapper.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended