US spying on allies `completely unacceptable`: Germany
Berlin: Expressing outrage over reports that it is the most closely watched country in Europe under a US spying programme, Germany on late Monday said eavesdropping on allies is "completely unacceptable" and demanded full details of the surveillance.
"Eavesdropping on allies is completely unacceptable. It cannot be tolerated, we are not in a cold war," Germany said in its first reaction to the reports that it was the most closely watched country in Europe and one of the main targets for American intelligence service National Security Agency (NSA) spied upon along with countries such as China, Iraq and Saudi Arabia.
The snooping agency also targeted the EU embassies in Washington and New York and its headquarters in Brussels, according to the reports.
The German government found these reports "very disconcerting" and conveyed this to the US, a government spokesman said.
"Europe and the United States are partners and allies. Mutual confidence is the basis of our cooperation and this must be restored," he told a news conference in Berlin.
The spokesman demanded from the US "full clarification" of these allegations. "There will be a joint and clear response from the EU, if necessary," he said.
German weekly Der Spiegel reported in its latest edition that the NSA spied on the German government, including chancellor Angela Merkel, with the approval of the White House and systematically collected vast amounts of Internet and telephone data, including emails, SMS, chat transcripts and phone calls.
Top secret documents leaked by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden showed that Germany was defined as a "target for attack" and lumped in a group of around 30 "third class" partners, which included China, Iraq and Saudi Arabia, the report said.
Pakistan, Iran and Afghanistan were among the most closely monitored nations.
Only a hand-picked group of nations were excluded from the NSA`s sweeping surveillance, a group of nations identified by the agency as close friends or "second class" partners and they were the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, the news weekly said.
The American intelligence service planted bugs at the EU embassies in Washington, United Nations and at the building housing the European Council of Ministers and the European Council in Brussels, Der Spiegel said.
The agency systematically snooped into the conversations of EU diplomats and monitored the emails and internal documents by infiltrating their computers, it said.
The German government is also taking very seriously the reports of large-scale collection of data of German users, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India