US state bans Sharia law
Washington: The central US state of Oklahoma has approved a ballot measure restricting judges from considering Islamic ‘Sharia law’ while making a judgement.
According to Politico, this is the result of nearly 70 percent of voters polling in favour of the move on Tuesday night.
The measure was proposed by Republican State Representative Rex Duncan, who said that the proposition was a "pre-emptive strike" against judges, who he worries could be “legislating from the bench or using international law or Sharia law”.
However, opponents of the measure pointed out that the First Amendment bars Congress from making any law respecting the establishment of religion. Muslim leaders also criticised the proposition and warned that they would challenge it in court.
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is one of the top voices spreading concern that Islamic law may creep into American courts, the report said.
Gingrich attracted national headlines in September at the Values Voter Summit in Washington when he declared, “I am opposed to any efforts to impose Sharia in the United States”.
“We should have a federal law that says under no circumstances in any jurisdiction in the United States will Sharia law be used in any court to apply to any judgment made about American law,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead