US state of Colorado allows sale of cannabis
Washington:Colorado has become the first US state to allow stores to sell cannabis for recreational use, media reported Wednesday.
Colorado, along with Washington state, legalised the use and possession of cannabis for non-medical purposes by people over the age of 21 in November 2012. Washington is not expected to allow the sale of the drug until later in 2014, BBC reported.
Up to an ounce (28.3 gram) of legal weed has been allowed per person but it cannot legally be taken out of the state, according to a Sky News report.
Colorado and Washington are among 20 states to have approved use of cannabis for medical purposes. The drug is still illegal under federal law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post