US state of Colorado allows sale of cannabis
Washington:Colorado has become the first US state to allow stores to sell cannabis for recreational use, media reported Wednesday.
Colorado, along with Washington state, legalised the use and possession of cannabis for non-medical purposes by people over the age of 21 in November 2012. Washington is not expected to allow the sale of the drug until later in 2014, BBC reported.
Up to an ounce (28.3 gram) of legal weed has been allowed per person but it cannot legally be taken out of the state, according to a Sky News report.
Colorado and Washington are among 20 states to have approved use of cannabis for medical purposes. The drug is still illegal under federal law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam