US still hopes for Iran nuclear deal in Geneva
Washington: The United States said on Saturday it still hopes that negotiators in Geneva will reach an accord on Iran`s nuclear program.
"We hope that an agreement can be reached," said White House spokesman Jay Carney.
"The Iranians decided they were not able come to an agreement in the previous round, but we remain hopeful that we can reach an agreement with all of our P-5 plus one allies and the Iranians in Geneva," he said.
Carney said the White House was not reading out the Geneva negotiations "hour by hour or day by day."
"But we believe that the first round provided progress that indicated that it is at least possible to reach an agreement on this first phase," he said.
Washington hopes to achieve "an agreement that allows for a verifiable decision by Iran to halt any progress on its nuclear program, and to roll back key aspects of it, as we`ve discussed," Carney added.
The spokesman`s comments came amid upbeat reports from Geneva, where Iranian negotiators said progress was being made in the talks, now in their third day.
Russia`s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov flew to Geneva, in a fresh push to clinch a deal.
"Last night we were a long way from foreign ministers coming. Today it has got closer," Iran`s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said, according to the ISNA news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’