US still insists on freeze of Israeli settlements: Abbas
Amman: Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said on Thursday the US administration of President Barack Obama was still adamant in its demand that Israel completely halts the building of settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories as a pre-condition for the resumption of peace talks with Israel.
"We did not feel any retraction in the US attitude in this respect," Abbas told reporters after talks with Jordan`s King Abdullah II.
"We still hear what we heard in the past that Israel should stop all settlement activity and after that the final stage negotiations begin," he said.
He said that the Israeli settlement activity dominated his talks with the Jordanian monarch, "who had already informed the Americans and the Europeans that the Arab stand will not change in demanding the cessation of all forms of settlement activity so that we can move a step forward".
For his part, King Abdullah said that Israel "should stop all settlement operations and other unilateral measures which threaten to demolish the peace process", according to a royal court statement.
The two leaders discussed moves for the "intensification of world efforts to re-launch the peace negotiations" that lead to the establishment of an independent Palestinian state and comprehensive peace in the Middle East, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read