US supplies non-lethal aid to Libyan rebels
Washington: The initial shipment of
US-supplied non-lethal aid to Libya`s Transitional National
Council (TNC), the body of Libyan rebels based in Benghazi,
has been delivered, a US official has said.
"This shipment, authorised under the (US) President`s
April 26th drawdown, consisted of more than 10,000 halal meals
ready to eat, that were transferred from Department of Defense
stocks in support of the TNC`s efforts to protect civilians
and civilian-populated areas under the threat of attack,"
State Department spokesman, Mark Toner, said.
"Other items are en-route and include medical supplies,
uniforms, boots, tents, and personal protective gear, and
these are also from DOD inventories," he said.
US continues to work with the TNC, to determine what
additional assistance requirements we might be able to support
in the coming weeks, Toner said.
An uprising began in Libya in February to end the 41-year
rule of 68-year-old Muammar Gaddafi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress