US Supreme Court lifts stay of Missouri execution
Bonne Terre: The US Supreme Court has lifted its stay on the scheduled execution of a Missouri death row inmate whose lawyers had challenged the state`s refusal to disclose where it obtained its lethal injection drug.
The high court issued a temporary stay less than three hours before Herbert Smulls was scheduled to be executed at 12:01 AM yesterday. Smulls, 56, was sentenced to death for killing a suburban St Louis jeweller and badly injuring his wife during a 1991 robbery.
But the court lifted the stay without explanation just before 5 PM, meaning the execution could move forward. Missouri law allows an execution to occur at any time on the day it is scheduled.
Witnesses to the execution had been told to report to the prison by noon.
Smulls` lawyer, Cheryl Pilate, made her final pleas on Tuesday, focusing on the state`s refusal to disclose the name of the compounding pharmacy that produces the pentobarbital used during executions. Pilate contends that the state`s secrecy makes it impossible to know whether the drug could cause pain and suffering during the execution process.
State prison officials maintained that the compounding pharmacy is part of the execution team and therefore its name cannot be released to the public.
St Louis County prosecutor Bob McCulloch has said talk about the drug was a smoke screen aimed at sparing the life of a cold-blooded killer. He noted that several courts had already ruled against Smulls, including the US District Court in Kansas City and the 8th US Circuit Court of Appeals. Governor Jay Nixon denied clemency Tuesday evening.
"It was a horrific crime," McCulloch said on Tuesday. "With all the other arguments that the opponents of the death penalty are making, it`s simply to try to divert the attention from what this guy did, and why he deserves to be executed."
Smulls had already served prison time for robbery when, on July 27, 1991, he went to F&M Crown Jewels and told the owners, Stephen and Florence Honickman, that he wanted to buy a diamond for his fiancée. He took 15-year-old Norman Brown with him.
Once in the shop, Smulls began shooting. The robbers took rings and watches, including those that Florence Honickman was wearing.
She was shot in the side and the arm, and feigned death while lying in a pool of her own blood but survived. Her 51-year-old husband died.
Police stopped Smulls 15 minutes later, and they found stolen jewellery and weapons in his car.
Florence Honickman identified the assailants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'