US `surprised` at return of ex-Haiti dictator
Washington: The United States admitted it
was "surprised" at ex-dictator Jean-Claude "Baby Doc"
Duvalier`s return to Haiti after 25 years in exile, a State
Department spokesman has said.
The former tyrant was holed up in a luxury Port-au-
Prince hotel after arriving back in the country late Sunday,
with observers wondering the purpose of his return in the wake
of a contested election.
"We are surprised by the timing of Duvalier`s visit to
Haiti. It adds unpredictability at an uncertain time in
Haiti`s election process," State Department spokesman Philip
Crowley said in a post to blogging site Twitter.
Haiti is wrestling with the results of November 28
elections that sparked deadly riots after allegations of vote-
rigging against ruling party candidate Jude Celestin, the
favorite of President Rene Preval.
International monitors have called on Celestin to step
aside in favor of opposition candidate Michel Martelly for the
second round of voting -- a date for which has yet to be set.
The frontrunner remains former first lady Mirlande
Manigat, and it was unclear what impact Duvalier`s return
would have on the impasse.
Human rights groups have called for Duvalier to face
trial, despite the justice system is in tatters after last
year`s catastrophic earthquake and many Haitians are too young
to remember his oppressive 1971-1986 rule.
Duvalier`s re-emergence has fueled speculation other
political leaders from Haiti`s tumultuous past may try to
return, including Jean-Bertrand Aristide, who has repeatedly
expressed a wish to go back.
Crowley added, however, that the United States was
"not aware of any plans for former President Aristide to
travel" to Haiti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi