US targets group linked to Taliban
Washington: The Obama administration has hit an entity and two individuals with sanctions for their alleged links to the Taliban.
The Department of Treasury blacklisted Rahat Ltd, a "hawala" group whose branches in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran have been allegedly used by the Taliban to facilitate their illicit financial activities, Xinhua reported.
"Hawala" is a traditional system of transferring money used in Arab countries and the Indian subcontinent, whereby the money is paid to an agent who then instructs an associate in the relevant country or area to pay the final recipient.
The treasury department also targeted Mohammed Qasim, the owner of Rahat Ltd, and Musa Kalim, the owner and manager of the business`s branch in Quetta, Pakistan.
"Rahat Ltd has been used extensively by senior Taliban leadership to finance their violent activities," the department said in a statement.
It said the entity helped in facilitating millions of dollars of transactions to support Naim Barich, the Taliban shadow governor in Afghanistan`s Helmand province who has been added to the UN Security Council 1988 List.
Washington imposed sanctions on Barich last week for his "extensive narcotics production and distribution activities".
Tuesday`s action "demonstrates our continued efforts to target and disrupt financial activity linked to the Taliban`s use of hawalas", said David Cohen, under-secretary for terrorism and financial intelligence.
"We will continue exposing these illicit networks and deprive the Taliban of their sources of funding no matter where they turn," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns
- iPhone 7? Apple Inc sends out invite for September 7 'special event'
- John Kerry's cavalcade got stuck in traffic jam caused by heavy rains in New Delhi