US teacher fired over comment on black president
Cincinnati: A US teacher has been fired following allegations that he told a black student who said he wanted to become president that the nation didn`t need another black president.
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports the Fairfield Board of Education voted 4-0 yesterday to fire Gil Voigt.
Voigt didn`t immediately return a call for comment today but has said the student misquoted him.
Voigt, who is white, says what he actually told the teen was that he doesn`t think the nation can afford another president like Barack Obama, "whether he`s black or white."
A state referee investigating Voigt found that explanation wasn`t credible.
The referee also found Voigt had made other offensive comments in class over the years.
Voigt may appeal his firing to a court.
He had been on unpaid leave since December following a parent`s complaint about the Obama remark.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming