US teacher fired over comment on black president
Cincinnati: A US teacher has been fired following allegations that he told a black student who said he wanted to become president that the nation didn`t need another black president.
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports the Fairfield Board of Education voted 4-0 yesterday to fire Gil Voigt.
Voigt didn`t immediately return a call for comment today but has said the student misquoted him.
Voigt, who is white, says what he actually told the teen was that he doesn`t think the nation can afford another president like Barack Obama, "whether he`s black or white."
A state referee investigating Voigt found that explanation wasn`t credible.
The referee also found Voigt had made other offensive comments in class over the years.
Voigt may appeal his firing to a court.
He had been on unpaid leave since December following a parent`s complaint about the Obama remark.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie