US teacher fired over comment on black president
Cincinnati: A US teacher has been fired following allegations that he told a black student who said he wanted to become president that the nation didn`t need another black president.
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports the Fairfield Board of Education voted 4-0 yesterday to fire Gil Voigt.
Voigt didn`t immediately return a call for comment today but has said the student misquoted him.
Voigt, who is white, says what he actually told the teen was that he doesn`t think the nation can afford another president like Barack Obama, "whether he`s black or white."
A state referee investigating Voigt found that explanation wasn`t credible.
The referee also found Voigt had made other offensive comments in class over the years.
Voigt may appeal his firing to a court.
He had been on unpaid leave since December following a parent`s complaint about the Obama remark.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP