US teen arrested for attempting to bomb a bar
Washington: A US teen, was hoping to engage in violent jihad, has been arrested by the FBI after he tried to blow up a bomb outside a bar in Chicago, officials have said.
Adel Daoud, a US citizen from the Chicago suburb of Hillside, was arrested Friday night in an undercover operation in which agents pretending to be terrorists provided him with a phony car bomb.
He was charged in a Chicago court yesterday with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and attempting to damage and destroy a building with an explosive.
The arrest of Doud, 18, who is scheduled to be produced before the court tomorrow, was the result of an undercover operation where he developed his attack plans and surveilled and selected a target, the Department of Justice said.
Daoud was closely monitored by law enforcement and was offered several chances to change his mind and walk away from the supposed attack, the US Attorney`s Office said.
It was at about 7:15 pm on Friday that Daoud met an undercover agent in Villa Park and drove with the agent to downtown Chicago.
Reports said that during the drive, Daoud led the undercover agent in a prayer that they succeed in the attack, kill several people and cause destruction.
Once downtown, the statement said, they entered a parking lot where a Jeep loaded with the purported explosive device was parked.
Daoud drove the Jeep out of the lot and parked in front of a downtown bar ? a target that he`d selected beforehand.
Daoud then got out of the vehicle and walked into an alley about a block away.
With the undercover agent watching, he attempted to detonate the bomb by pressing the triggering mechanism and was then arrested, the statement said.
During email correspondence with the agents, he "expressed an interest in engaging in violent jihad, either in the United States or overseas," according to an affidavit in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?