US tells Lanka to implement plan on human rights
Washington: The US on Friday asked Sri Lanka to listen to the international community and implement the plan on human rights issues and devolution of power in the country.
"They should implement the plan that they have never implemented and they should listen to the words of the international community," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said, a day after a US-sponsored resolution on Colombo was passed by the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva.
"We welcome the passage of this new resolution... We call on the government of Sri Lanka to fulfill its obligations to its own people," she said.
"The resolution very clearly expresses the support of the international community for Sri Lanka, addressing its outstanding issues related to reconciliation and for meeting its obligations for accountability, which it has not yet done," Nuland said.
The United States, she said, had made clear that if they didn`t take steps, they would see this kind of a resolution coming forward. "That was about six months ago, and we didn`t see any progress," she said.
"We want to see the Sri Lankans take their own decisions. We have said before, if those are not forthcoming, the international community will look at whether there are other steps we can take," Nuland said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Attacks on African nationals: MOS VK Singh calls them 'minor scuffle', stokes controversy
- Fact alert! Anushka Sharma performed her own stunts in Salman Khan's 'Sultan'
- LinkedIn notifies massive data breach, millions of passwords may have been leaked
- Karan Johar is keen to watch THIS Bollywood release! Any guesses?
- 12 killed as violence mars Bangladesh local body polls